One of the easiest ways to stay safe outside during COVID is to wear a mask. And making one is a lot simpler than it seems. This video and guide shows how to make a simple protective mask. In fact, it’s so simple that even Leo McGrath, who has never used a sewing machine before, could figure it out.
To make a mask, you will need:
- A sewing machine OR a needle and thread
- Scrap Fabric
- Elastic Straps
- Pipe Cleaner
- Cut out two 9×6 inch pieces of fabric.
- Pin the two pieces of fabric together with their insides out.
- Start sewing the two pieces together around the border, making sure to include the elastic straps in the corners, and leave a 2-inch gap in the top of the mask.
- Pull the inside of the mask out through the gap, to turn the mask right-side out.
- Cut a 2–3 inch length of pipe cleaner, and fold the corners
- Insert the piece of pipe cleaner into the gap at the top of the mask, then sew around the pipe cleaner to keep it in place.
- Sew around the outside of the mask.
- Fold the entire mask up on itself twice, and pin the folds in place.
- Sew along the left and right side of the mask, over the folds.